NEVADA — An previously undisclosed ‘person of interest’ was identified by investigators in the days after Stephen Paddock carried out the worst mass shooting in the nation’s history on the Las Vegas Strip, newly released court documents show.
In the nearly 300 pages released Tuesday, a Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department document read, “Until the investigation can rule otherwise, Marilou Danley and Douglas Haig have become persons of interest who may have conspired with Stephen Paddock to commit Murder with a Deadly Weapon.”
The Las Vegas Review-Journal broke the story: Danley was Paddock’s girlfriend and initially was named as a person of interest in the investigation. Haig, whose name had not been previously released, could not be reached for immediate comment Tuesday.
When contacted by phone Tuesday about the newly released name, Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said only, “If you’ve got it, publish it.” He said he could not comment on a federal case.
An FBI spokeswoman said she could not immediately comment Tuesday.
Lombardo has said repeatedly that the evidence shows Paddock acted alone. “I know and believe there was only one suspect who killed 58 people and injured hundreds more,” Lombardo said in a January 20th press conference. “All the evidence recovered in this case supports that theory. There was one shooter in the 1 October massacre. There was only one person responsible, and that was Stephen Paddock.”
On the night of October 1, 2017, Paddock opened fire on a crowd of concertgoers at the Route 91 Harvest music festival on the Las Vegas Strip in Nevada, leaving 58 people dead and 851 injured.
Paddock, of Mesquite, Nevada, fired more than 1,100 rounds from his suite on the 32nd floor of the nearby Mandalay Bay hotel. About an hour after he fired his last shot into the crowd of 22,000, he was found dead in his room from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. His motive remains unknown.
Read more: BREAKING 911