A man lost his house after using a smoke bomb to get rid of skunks that lived in his home, according to firefighters in Michigan.

The Ferndale Fire Department said that the man, who was not identified, accidentally set his own home on fire by trying to get rid of the skunks by himself.

The incidence unfolded on Monday, at around 10:30 a.m., at a home in the 300 block of West Webster.

The man told investigators that he discovered several skunks living in his home.

In order to get rid of the animals, the man decided to use a smoke bomb.

He had hoped that the smoke will get the skunks to leave his home.

However, the smoke bomb set the wall of his home on fire.

The man foolishly wanted more than 15 minutes to call the fire department for help.

By the time firefighters arrived at the scene, the fire traveled to the first floor of the home.

It took hours for firefighters to completely extinguish the fire.

The home was a total loss and the man lost all of his possessions.

One firefighter suffered a minor injury.

No skunks were found in the home.