On Sunday night, October 1st, someone opened fire on the 22,000 people who had attended the Route 91 Harvest Festival. They fired several hundred rounds from fully automatic weapons leaving 59 dead and more than 500 injured. And Frankly, that is all we definitely know about what happened.
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department has said that the shooter acted alone, and has identified him has Stephen Paddock, 64, of Mesquite, Nevada. Officials say that as they closed in on his snipers nest, Mr. Paddock took his own life and thus far they have found no evidence of any other accomplices. Unfortunately that in itself opens all kinds of questions.
Here is what police have released about the attack:
- Police said they found “numerous firearms” in his hotel room (though the number is in question).
- Paddock opened fire on the crowd from his hotel room at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino around 10 pm.
- After officers breached Paddock’s room, they found the suspect dead.
- There is currently no motive for the deadly shooting.
What we know
- At least 59 people were killed and more than 500 were injured as a result of a shooting at a Las Vegas country music concert.
- Police identified the shooter as 64-year-old Stephen Craig Paddock.
- Paddock was found dead in a hotel room overlooking the concert.
- Paddock reportedly carried out the shooting from his hotel room.
- Paddock is believed to have acted alone.
- He had more than 10 rifles with him in his hotel room.
- Officials denied this was an Islamist terrorist attack (ISIS has taken credit for the shooting).
- Paddock was a Millionaire from Real Estate deals.
- Paddock was raised in Liberal areas of the country.
- Paddock was a member of several anti-Trump groups.
- Paddock was a supporter of Barrack Obama.
- Paddock had a penchant for gambling.
What we don’t yet know:
- Was Paddock the actual shooter or was he a convenient patsy for a planned attack on Conservatives?
- Was Paddock involved with left-wing groups like ANTIFA? (allegedly, some of their materials were found in his hotel room).
- Did Paddock act alone or were there other persons involved in the attack?
- Did Paddock shoot himself or was he eliminated and left for police to find and blame?
- Why did Paddock decided to attack this group of people in such a planned attack?
- Was Paddock a converted Muslim and acting on behalf of ISIS?
- Was there an additional shooter on the Forth floor of the hotel?
These are just some of the questions that law enforcement is currently attempting to answer even as everyone on social media is speculating on the answers. Remember it took weeks before we knew the real answers to the San Bernardo shootings, and it is likely to take just as long to answer these questions.